Remy Hair Extensions: What Is It and Main Features
Whenever you hear someone talking about hair extensions, sooner or later the term “Remy hair extensions” pops up, and that’s when things start to get complicated. If we already have natural human hair, why would we need to come up with some other name? And what exactly does “Remy” mean?
Let's find out the real meaning behind this term and expand our knowledge of hair beauty jargon :)
What Is Remy Human Hair and How Do They Differ From Non-Remy?
It is indeed complicated. First of all, you have to separate the term “Remy hair extensions” itself (and its actual meaning) from the way this term is used in marketing to convince potential customers that they are getting the best quality product.
One thing you have to understand is that all Remy hair is essential natural human hair, but not all natural human hair is Remy.
Still a bit like a puzzle, isn’t it?:) So, what is Remy human hair extensions? Here are the main characteristics:
- 100% natural hair with an intact cuticle that covers the hair from follicle to tip
- All the strands in a bundle are facing the same direction: from the root to the tip
- The proper alignment must be preserved for each strand at all stages of preparation and packaging of the bundle
Today there are several main countries that supply hair for different types of extensions, which can be roughly divided into the following categories:
- Slavic hair - soft natural undyed hair from Ukraine and southern Russia. These are premium quality products ideal for women with fine hair
- Russian hair - colored hair with a slightly denser texture. This type of hair is collected throughout Russian Federation, as well as in Belarus, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan
- European hair - dense, thick hair with a maximum length of 90 cm. This type of hair is collected in Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, and the Philippines) and is delicately processed in strict accordance with EU regulations.
- Chinese and Indian - this category includes both quality hair (sourced mostly in India and China) and hair that undergoes aggressive chemical treatment.
So, where do Remy hair extensions come from? Typically, the term Remy applies to the last two categories we’ve listed above (European and Chinese/Indian).
How Do I Know If Remy Hair Extensions Are Natural?
Let’s take a closer look at what makes Remy natural hair extensions different from non-Remy:
|The direction in which hair naturally grows has been preserved, which makes hair extensions much more comfortable to wear.|
Hair is not aligned, which leads to excessive tangling and makes it difficult to brush, as the hair cuticles stick out in different directions.
The effect is somewhat similar to stroking a cat in the wrong direction.
|100% Remy hair extensions are handpicked strands that will last you a long time (with proper care and regular correction procedures)|
Non-Remy hair is hard to style since it undergoes aggressive chemical treatment.
As a result of this treatment, the hair cuticle is completely destroyed and so is the outer layer of the hair, which is responsible for its integrity and structure. This leads to the hair quickly becoming dry and brittle, which makes non-Remy hair extension impossible to wear for extended periods of time.
|Remy hair looks smoother and healthier, with a soft natural shine.|
To add a bit of gloss and shine to non-Remy hair (which most of the time still looks unnatural), the strands are actively treated with silicone.
Unfortunately, this silicone gets washed out rather quickly, after which you’re left with dull, dry, and brittle hair.
|Remy hair is much more expensive due to the complex process of pre-processing, which helps to preserve the hair cuticle.||Even though non-Remy hair is much cheaper than Remy, it does come at a price - this hair will not last you long.|
Can I Dye and Curl My Remy Hair Extensions?
As you can see, high-quality hair extensions undergo delicate processing, which preserves the original look and condition of the hair, as well as provides the ultimate comfort when wearing these extensions.
However, if you want your hair extensions to last long and look great all the time, you need to know a lot about proper care - here are some common tips.
Top 5 Facts About Hair Care Routine
- Wash your hair while standing in the shower, using quality shampoo and conditioner
- Be sure to brush your hair immediately after waking up and also once during the day and before bedtime (if necessary)
- Use only the brush that’s right for your hair extensions
- When blowdrying your hair, use medium-to-low temperature settings
- If you want to style your hair a bit differently (maybe curl it), you should know how to curl Remy hair extensions. We do not recommend using the curling iron too close to the place where bonds or tapes are attached, as the high temperature can melt them. Use the curling iron with extreme caution.
Here’s a nice article we wrote about how to take care of hair extensions.
Can You Tone Remy Hair Extensions?
It is not uncommon to find great hair extensions ideal with ideal hair structure and length, but with a shade that’s slightly different from what you prefer. This brings the question - can you dye Remy human hair extensions?
The short answer is “yes.” However, if you want to preserve the original structure and condition of your hair extensions, you should not do this at home and pay a visit to a professional hairstylist who knows how to dye and tone hair extensions without spoiling the original quality.
DIY coloring is always a risk: it does not guarantee that the original structure of the strands will be preserved or that the shade you are striving for will be obtained.
Where to Buy Remy Hair Extensions in Canada and the USA?
If you are looking for a trusted supplier of Remy hair extensions in Canada or the USA, then I Love Slavic Hair is your best choice. We offer a large selection of Remy hair dyed using top-notch European technologies. You can also buy premium quality long Remy hair extensions from us.
We supply hair extensions directly throughout Canada, USA, UK, and Australia.
Since we directly cooperate with trusted suppliers of raw materials from Asia and run our own production facilities in Ukraine, we can offer you cheap Remy hair extensions, that are quality-made, comfortable to wear, and very reliable.
When you choose European Remy hair extensions, you get the best value for money!
Products related to this post